Monday, October 5, 2009

A Date With History


Italian classes are officially over, and I feel like I have learned enough to get by now. I can understand basic phrases and I’m getting better every day. Come December, I may even be able to speak without planning what I want to say in advance.

Last week was a very exciting one since there was graduation on Thursday, and “Eat In” on Friday. Did I mention I meet Carlo Petrini? No. Well I did. If that name doesn’t ring a bell that’s ok, it’s not like he founded an organization called Slow Food here in Bra, that is now thriving worldwide and has revolutionized the way we view food and sustainability. Oh wait, I guess he did. So yeah, it’s a big deal.

As he formally welcomed use to the school, I did my best to hold myself together, but all I wanted to do was giggle like a teenage girl would around one of the Jonas brothers. After our break in class I went outside with Matt and Ryan and we couldn’t believe who walked around the corner, the man, the myth, the legend; Carlo Petrini. We had another brief conversation with him in our broken Italian about school, his upcoming trip to the USA; he even said that we should have dinner together sometime.

The next big news is the second annual “Eat In.” This is a big community style dinner organized by the school and the second year students as a way to welcome the first year students, and to bring together the whole school. Groups of students prepared meals and brought them to the dinner. I was assigned to a group of who was making traditional Kenyan food and had a great time cooking and eating. The night was very successful, the town even paid for the wine! Try to get Durham to do that.

Finally, the week cumulated with an amazing trip to Cinque Terre. Cinque Terre is a collection of five towns along the coast of Liguria. The five towns are Monterosso, Veranzza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore. Throughout the weekend we got a chance to hike the whole trail. We had beautiful weather resulting in some amazing views of the ocean and surrounding hill side. Many more amazing trips to come, I do love it here in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment